Re-activating A Dormant Project [Case Study]
It’s quite common to start a project and then, due to other work pressures, changes in the market, budget or other factors, you place the project on hold with the view that you will come back to it at a later time.
By the time you do come back to it, your business may have undergone a number of changes and so your view of how that project fits into your big picture may be very different to what it was when you first started. In some cases, there may no longer be a fit within your business and so the best option is to abandon it completely.
However, placing a project on hold can often be very positive as we discovered when we sat down and re-evaluated what to do with GolfandBiz, a venture we started in 2010. Here’s some background and what we have done to re-activate this dormant project …
Golf and Biz – The Original Concept
GolfandBiz was established in 2010 to provide groups with a new GROUP golf tour option which combined business and golf in one package. The service had some unique characteristics, including:
- The destination – Manila, Philippines – provides many world class golf courses plus a “night golf” option which appeals to golfers who don’t have that option in their own country.
- Limited Competition – aside from Korean and Japanese golf tour operators, very few “western” tour operators had packaged up group tours to this destination and so it offered a new option for many.
- Golf Pro Support – marketing would be driven through Golf Pros and all tours would have an Australian-based PGA professional and winner of 23 tournaments accompanying participants.
- Business Sessions – each tour included business sessions and take-home business materials so that participants had an opportunity to claim part of their tour cost as a business expense / tax deduction.
The service was launched in Queensland Australia in 2010 with a major push scheduled for early 2011. Unfortunately, Queensland was struck by massive floods in early 2011 and everyone’s focus went elsewhere. Enthusiasm and momentum was lost! This was reflected in traffic to the website whose Alexa ranking dropped to below 5 million (i.e. very few visitors).
The NEW GolfandBiz
Anyone can organize a golf tour – you just need to get onto a travel agent and almost everything you need can be organized through there. What made the original GolfandBiz different and more complex (for most) to organize was the business element which we brought into it.
In our re-evaluation, we decided that this is what the new business should focus on.
As a result, the new GolfandBiz is all about providing golf tour and conference organizers a SUPPORT SERVICE for their next sales, client or staff conference rather than being a stand alone golf tour operator. It’s not really a new direction, rather a scaling back of our original concept. The support services in this new direction include:
- Business materials as a take-home –products such as One Stop Business Coach, The Real World Marketer and Value Holidays are ideal take-home extras for any business oriented conference. Providing materials like these as take-home extras are proven winners at conferences.
- Local guest speakers – we have a strong network of associates who are experts in areas such as property, investing and outsourcing. This gives conference organizers the ability to add a local flavor to conferences hosted in the Philippines.
- Inclusion of golf within the itinerary – as an option rather than the focus
These services are available to ANY event or conference organizer who wants to host a conference (or golf tour) in the Philippines. In the case of our business materials, other products, and guest speakers, they are also available to event organizers ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. This re-activation is being undertaken in two stages:
Already LIVE … and interest is building! In less than 4 weeks and a review of what people are viewing on the site shows that offshore visitors are looking at the non-golf pages than the golf pages. The big positive – requests for more information have already come in.
Encouraging others to copy our model and establish localized versions of this service. Organizations can gain access to our business materials and other programs as a value add for a conference through our Partner Program and so have an opportunity to create a comparable service with a unique point of differentiation in their local market.
The above demonstrates both how easy it is to re-activate a dormant project and even, if you are that way inclined, start up a new venture / secondary income stream. It’s not hard at all when you have ready access to some of the necessary ingredients.